There’s something so enchanting about the combination of nature and art.
If you’re taking a nature walk this summer, take the time to collect a few fern fronds in different sizes. With a little paint you can create a gorgeous and easy work of art that’s totally frame-worthy!
- Acrylic paint
- Heavy paper (watercolor paper or cardstock)
Prepare the Project:
Take a nature walk and collect fern fronds of varying sizes and shapes.
Set the fronds out along with the thick paper and paint brushes. Squirt your paint colors of choice onto a palette or paper plate. Using the same paint color in varying shades makes for a stunning and cohesive result.
Make Some Art:
- Use the paintbrushes to brush the color of your choice onto a fern frond. Experiment with using the front and the back of the frond- you’ll find that you get slightly different results.
- Gently turn the frond over onto the blank paper and press down. Very gently run one finger along the blades to achieve a complete print.
- Slowly peel the frond off the page from bottom to top.
- Repeat with fronds of varying sizes. Use lighter and darker shades of the same color, or experiment with complementary colors to create a beautiful work of art.
- What other leaves and foliage can you use for printing?
- Overlap different colors to mix a new third color in the overlaps.
- Start with a colored piece of paper and print with white for a striking negative effect.